16.6 C
London
Thursday, August 20, 2026
HomeCARIBBEAN NEWSAFC Leader, Nigel Hughes says he welcomes any investigation into lands he...
spot_imgspot_img

AFC Leader, Nigel Hughes says he welcomes any investigation into lands he acquired

Feb 07, 2025
News


The Alliance For Change Leader, Nigel Hughes stated on Friday that his attempt to acquire lease lands on the Essequibo Coast, Region Two is “above board” but welcomes any investigation into the acquisition.

“…I welcome, I absolutely Welcome and encourage a full investigation into my acquisition of lands on the left bank of the Essequibo River..” Hughes said.  He said too that he would also welcome a full investigation into any role he played with any company in acquiring land at Plantation Ogle, East Coast Demerara (ECD).

AFC Leader, Nigel Hughes

Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo while defending  his government’s sale of over 35 acres of prime land to convicted fraudster Edul ‘Ed’ Ahmad,at his party’s press-conference on Thursday  highlighted a bid by Attorney, Nigel Hughes to lease and purchase 75 acres of undeveloped state lands in the Essequibo. He said too that Hughes was part of a company the that acquired lands at Plantation Ogle, ECD.

On Friday at an AFC press conference said that he purchase the Essequibo lands for $2 million and the only reason an application was made to the Guyana Lands and Survey Commission (GL&SC) is because, “you have to get a lease”.

Hughes further explained that in October 2019, GL&SC issued an approval for his application to acquire the state lands.

The approval came with conditions, according to Hughes and he complied with all of them and was granted a provision lease for 50 acres of the land in 2020.

“Since then I have been writing, attending Asking the Guyana Lands and Surveys to issue to me the actual final lease” Hughes said while adding “Every letter we have sent to them and there has been four they have refused to respond to either”.

The AFC leader said that he is still waiting for that final lease and claimed that he has unofficially heard that GL&SC has been instructed not to issue any land to Nigel Hughes.

Hughes added that he had applied for the land for business purposes but all of his partners have gone away due to the long wait for the final lease.

As it relates to the Ogle Lands, Hughes claimed that he is not a shareholder of the company or direct beneficiary of the lands.

In the same the AFC Leader, has called for a full investigation too in the sale of over 35 acres of prime city lands to convicted fraudster, Ed Ahmad.


Similar Articles


Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img