18.3 C
London
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
HomeCARIBBEAN NEWSHamas says it will continue releasing Israeli hostages under Gaza deal
spot_imgspot_img

HAMAS – Hamas has said it is committed to implementing the Gaza ceasefire deal with Israel and will continue releasing hostages as scheduled, raising hopes that a resumption of the war can be averted. Following talks in Cairo, the Palestinian armed group said mediators from Egypt and Qatar had confirmed they would “remove obstacles”. Egyptian and Qatari reports also said gaps had been bridged. An Israeli government spokesman did not comment on the reports but stated that if Hamas did not free three living hostages on Saturday then the ceasefire would end. Israel’s prime minister made a similar ultimatum on Tuesday after Hamas said it was postponing releases over what it claimed were Israeli violations.

Hamas said these included a failure to allow in the agreed amounts of vital humanitarian aid, including tents and shelters, which Israel denied. The group’s threat to derail the deal prompted US President Donald Trump to propose Israel cancel the agreement altogether and “let hell break out” unless “all of the hostages” were returned by Saturday. (BBC)

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img